A new wave in the Construction Industry – GFRC
Glass Fibre Reinforced Concrete is a material used in construction industry for years. In the early 70’s, it was used in United Kingdom to construct buildings but with so many benefits and innovative building materials, Glass reinforcement concrete India is getting a popular choice of many contractors in construction industry.
Let us understand what is GFRC?
GFRC is a concrete mixture with high strength fibre glass in the mix. The mixture provides strong and flexible concrete mix that protects the mixture and is healthy for the environment as well. Since it is light weight, durable and flexible, it can be casted in to any shape. Apart from fibre, the concrete mixture also has additives, acrylic co-polymer, water, Portland cement and fine aggregate. This mixture is usually used for external facades.
Benefits of applying GFRC
There are many benefits of using a GFRC mixture to improve the external look of the house. Below are some benefits and advantages that would give you a reason to think, why is the material so commonly used in today’s world:-
- GFRC is 75% lighter in volume compared to the traditional concrete mix
- Being tensile in nature, it provides high level of strength to weight ratio
- Easy to apply and no requirement of heavy duty machinery while application
- Easy to mould and does not crack easily
- The mixture is very adaptable, so much that it can even be poured or sprayed
- Use for external restoration work and currently highly used in walls and ceilings
Limitation of using GFRC
Every product has a pro and con. Similarly, there are some limitations to using of GFRC in your buildings:-
- Slightly expensive compared to other concrete mix.
- It is not easy to mix on your own. Usually, GFRC is applied by pouring and mixing or spraying
- Though the GFRC mixture is quite versatile in nature, however, it can fall apart if not applied correctly.
- Since it is not ductile enough, it can collapse under stress.
There could be some disadvantages of applying GFRC but looking at the benefits, it is becoming a popular choice for contractors and landscapers.