A Quick Guide on WPC
Wood Plastic Composites (WPC) is a compound material made of combination of thermoplastics (PVC, PP, PE) and wood flour or wood fibre.
WPC also has chemical additives most of which are invisible, barring pigments and mineral fillers. The chemicals help in integration of wood powder and polymer and also ensure best conditions for processing.
Apart from plastic and wood, WPC also contains some inorganic filler materials like ligno-cellulose. WPC is just one element in a large species of substances called as Natural Fibre Plastic Composites (NFPC), which may contain fillers like straw, bamboo, pea-nut hulls etc.
WPC is used mostly for outdoor deck floors, fences, railings, cladding, parch benches, etc. Nowadays it is also used for windows and doors.
Benefits of WPC:
The following are the advantages of WPC.
- WPC is resistant to corrosion
- Wood Plastic Composites are resistant to Marine borer attack rot and decay.
- They are very well workable and can be given various shapes using traditional wood working tools.
- They are considered eco-friendly as they can be created out of recycled plastics and waste from the wood industry.
- In spite of being recycled, they have their own half life. But they can be recycled into fresh WPC much like concrete.
- They can be moulded into any shape. For instance, they can be bent and shaped into arched curves.
- They also do not require painting. They are made in different colours. But common colours include earth tones and grays.
- In spite of cellulose content of 70%, mechanical qualities of WPC are like neat polymers. One can polymerize neat polymers without using added solvents. WPC is thus less stiff than wood.
Disadvantages of WPC:
- WPC has time and weather dependant behaviour.
- Wood particles are prone to fungal attack.
- Polymer content runs risk of UV degradation.
- Some WPC are susceptible to staining form many agencies
WPC has good prospects in India. Wood panels are much in demand currently and growing in demand, day by day. Because of long sea coast, the climate of most of India has high humidity or moisture content. There is also high pest damage from termites. But one can use wood polymer composite door frames India as WPC is moisture and termite resistant.WPC has, thus, great scope in India.