Polyvinyl chloride has been used by humans from long times. Abbreviated as PVC, it is the third most extensively created synthetic plastic polymer. PVC is made in two forms, rigid and flexible. Rigid PVC is used in making pipes, doors and windows. To make it softer and flexible, plasticizers and phthalates are added. Pure PVC is a white in colour and brittle in texture. PVC was accidentally discovered in 1872 by a German chemist named Eugen Baumann.
PVC is favored when it comes to construction materials such as doors and windows for offices, homes and hotels because it has high hardness and favorable mechanical properties. uPVC, or rigid PVC is widely used in the building industry as it is a very low maintenance material. It comes in a range of colors and finishes. The wood finish PVC resembles wood very much and is used instead of wood.
The use of PVC products in the construction industry has rapidly increased in the past decade. This is due to its resistance to light, rust, chemicals, bugs, insects and corrosion. It also has resistance to extreme temperatures, water and wind. Light weight and easy to fix, PVC lessens your work. No wonder PVC has become the third largest selling plastic material in the world coming after polyethylene and polypropylene. It is also economically feasible and comes with great durability. PVC is cheaper than wood and metals.
From the day it was accidentally discovered more than seven decades ago, PVC has been used widely. Its usage has grown and expanded in all the industries. But, the most important industry it is used is in the construction industry. More than 30 billion pounds of PVC is produced in which 60% is used for construction purposes. PVC door frames, doors, windows, railing, etc., a home built using PVC has a smaller carbon footprint owing to the eco friendly PVC. As it is recyclable easily and several times, PVC is an ideal material for people, who want to have a green home. Using PVC to build homes is a very smart move, your doors and windows will be safe for at least fifty years minimum.
- Published in DOOR FRAMES
All are familiar with doors. Most doors have two components: shutters and frames. There are different kinds of doors available in the market based on factors like raw materials and design.
Main types of door frames based on make are:
- PVC door frame
- Wooden door frame
- Iron door frame
- Aluminium door frame
Some details about the types are:
- PVC Door Frames: These are made using technology that minimizes energy use. These door frames are also energy efficient as they provide maximum insulation. They are eco-friendly as they lower consumption of energy saving valuable gas and oils. PVC door frames are easy to maintain and are highly durable like lasting for around 50 years. Long term benefits provide PVC door frames with superior cost benefit ratios. PV door frames are anti-corrosive, termite proof, light weight, moisture and chemical resistant, attractive and available in various colors.
- Wooden Door Frames: They are most popular and attractive. They have wide variety based on quality. They are easy to maintain and are used on basis of budget.
- Aluminium Frames: Nowadays they are used in offices and commercial complexes and top class buildings for providing architectural beauty and for smooth operation. These door frames provide beautiful looks, need no painting and have low maintenance cost. They can resist termites and rusting.
- Iron Door Frames: They are mostly used in buildings of low cost. They are highly termite resistant. This type of frames have three variants:
- Angle iron Door frames: Are created out of angle iron that is of the size 40 mm x 40 mm x 6 mm. The frame is welded with iron hinges. The joints of the frame must be welded flush and ground into a smooth texture using grinder. Also, the frame must be in a correct right angle. A priming coat must be applied before frame fixing.
- Iron door frame: This door frame is made using T. Iron. Procedure for fixing is just akin to Angle Iron door.
- Pressed Steel door frame: This type of door frame is produced from sheet of mild steel that is 1.25 mm thick. The frame is welded with iron hinges.
These are main types of door frames available in the market.
- Published in DOOR FRAMES
UPVC is a type of PVC ((Poly Vinyl Chloride) material. It is an acronym for Unplasticised PVC. It is a popular building material used for pipes, guttering, doors and windows.
When used to make doors, UPVC is wrapped around a galvanized steel core. This makes it much tougher than the traditional wooden doors. This type of PVC door frames are strong, durable and low maintenance.
What are some qualities of UPVC door frames?
- Wide choice: UPVC doors are becoming more popular as they are available in a variety of textures, colors and finishes other than the traditional white. Thus, the doors not only come in a variety of colors but also finishes like cherry wood, oak, etc.
- Strong: A major quality of the UPVC doors is that they are really tough and strong compared to traditional wooden doors. One major problem with doors is that of warping due to damp climate. When wood is subject to damp conditions and contact with moisture, it swells and warps; this prevents the easy opening and closing of doors. UPVC doors are weather proof and rigid, which implies that it is not susceptible to warping. Since UPVC doors retain their shape despite any weather changes, they fit snugly into their space, making them easy to open and close.
- Low maintenance: UPVC doors are easy to maintain. All that is needed is an occasional oiling of locking mechanism. Also, one may periodically clean glazed areas and wipe other areas lightly. UPVC is very durable and this makes it ideal for doors and windows.
- Insulation: UPVC doors and windows are well reputed for insulating against noise. If your are burdened by noise on the streets outside or noisy neighbors, UPVC doors will cut the noise. Thus they help prevent stress.
UPVC doors and windows also insulate home against weather outside by keeping warmth within the room during winter and cooling air during summer. This cuts energy bills of the home and makes it environment friendly.
- Safety: Being strong, UPVC doors and windows protect against break-ins and resist crowbars.
These are some of the qualities of UPVC doors and windows.
- Published in PVC Boards