Wood Plastic Composites (WPC) is a compound material made of combination of thermoplastics (PVC, PP, PE) and wood flour or wood fibre.
WPC also has chemical additives most of which are invisible, barring pigments and mineral fillers. The chemicals help in integration of wood powder and polymer and also ensure best conditions for processing.
Apart from plastic and wood, WPC also contains some inorganic filler materials like ligno-cellulose. WPC is just one element in a large species of substances called as Natural Fibre Plastic Composites (NFPC), which may contain fillers like straw, bamboo, pea-nut hulls etc.
WPC is used mostly for outdoor deck floors, fences, railings, cladding, parch benches, etc. Nowadays it is also used for windows and doors.
Benefits of WPC:
The following are the advantages of WPC.
- WPC is resistant to corrosion
- Wood Plastic Composites are resistant to Marine borer attack rot and decay.
- They are very well workable and can be given various shapes using traditional wood working tools.
- They are considered eco-friendly as they can be created out of recycled plastics and waste from the wood industry.
- In spite of being recycled, they have their own half life. But they can be recycled into fresh WPC much like concrete.
- They can be moulded into any shape. For instance, they can be bent and shaped into arched curves.
- They also do not require painting. They are made in different colours. But common colours include earth tones and grays.
- In spite of cellulose content of 70%, mechanical qualities of WPC are like neat polymers. One can polymerize neat polymers without using added solvents. WPC is thus less stiff than wood.
Disadvantages of WPC:
- WPC has time and weather dependant behaviour.
- Wood particles are prone to fungal attack.
- Polymer content runs risk of UV degradation.
- Some WPC are susceptible to staining form many agencies
WPC has good prospects in India. Wood panels are much in demand currently and growing in demand, day by day. Because of long sea coast, the climate of most of India has high humidity or moisture content. There is also high pest damage from termites. But one can use wood polymer composite door frames India as WPC is moisture and termite resistant.WPC has, thus, great scope in India.
- Published in WPC board
Wood Polymer Composite or Wood plastic composite is a composite material made of thermoplastics and wood flour/ wood fiber. It contains additives, which are mostly invisible except for pigments and mineral fillers. Plastic or polymer is integrated with wood flour via optimal processing procedures.
Wood Plastic composite (WPC) is a relatively new technology in comparison with traditional lumber. It’s most common use is for deck floors but now is widely used for fencing, railing, claddings, doors and window construction etc.
Here are some of the benefits of wood polymer composite door frames India:
- Manufacturers stake the claim that this material is more environment-friendly and need less maintenance than substitutes like wood injected with preservatives or rot resistant species of wood.
- WPC will not be subject to corrosion. It is very resistant to decay, rot and attack by pests. However, it does absorb water because of the wood fibers in the material.
- It has high malleability and can be worked upon by traditional wood working tools.
- It is regarded as suitable material: It can be made from recyclable plastic and waste material of the wood industry. The disadvantage is that though it extends the usability of the raw materials, it has its own half life because the plastic used to make it is not recyclable. But they can be made into new plastic-wood composite, similar to concrete.
- WPC can also be fashioned into any shape. It can be fixed or bent to form curves and arches.
- WPC is also unique as it does not need to be painted. It comes in several natural colors, most common being earth tones and grey.
- WPC serves as material for a stainable/paintable entry door, which is a fine substitute for PVC entry doors for weathering all resultant rigors.
- Composite doors will not swell in wet weather and will not become creaky or stiff.
- Insulation of composite doors improves energy efficiency in the home.
- There is wide selection of composite doors to suit the needs of any home.
These are some benefits of wood polymer composite doors.
- Published in DOOR FRAMES