Top 6 Qualities of Poly Vinyl Chloride
PVC is being used to substitute other building material like clay, concrete, wood and metal. Because of its versatility, reputation, record and cost effectiveness, it is the most crucial polymer used in the construction sector.
PVC or Poly Vinyl Chloride is one among most popular plastic materials used in construction and building. It is used for pipes, roofing, windows and flooring and is used as alternative for traditional materials like wood , glass, rubber etc.
Here are a few qualities of PVC, which make it a hot favorite and earn more business for PVC sheet manufacturers:
- Lightweight and strong: PVC is lightweight, abrasion resistant, and mechanically strong, which make it ideal building material.
- Easy installation: PVC can be shaped, cut and welded in a variety of styles. Its light weight makes it easy to handle and versatile in application.
- Durability: PVC is a material that resists corrosion, chemical rotting, weathering, abrasion and shock. It is hence the choice for many outdoor applications. In fact, long term and medium term applications are responsible for 85 percent of usage of PVC production.
Studies show that 75% of PVC pipes will last for over 40 years and some even for 100 years.
- Cost effectiveness: PVC has become a very popular building material down the last few decades due to their technical and physical properties that provide very good cost advantages. It is also a material that is very competitive in price, and these advantages are multiplied while considering durability and low maintenance of PVC material.
- Safety: PVC is safe as it is non-toxic. It has been safely used for more than half a century. It is one of the world’s most tested and researched plastics. It meets international standards of health and safety.
- Fire resistant: PVC will burn, but it is self-extinguishing, which means if ignition source is removed, it will stop burning. PVC is safe as it has high content of Chlorine, which makes it tough to ignite and production of heat is relatively low.
These are some of the qualities of PVC, which make it so popular for construction and building industry.