Understanding about the benefits and limitations of GRC
GRC stands for glass reinforced concrete. This type of product is known to be fiber reinforced concrete they are used mainly in the exterior façade panels of the building and in the form of architectural precast concrete. Cement boards and fiber cement siding are regarded to be its alternatives.
GRC concrete is known to comprise of embedded glass fiber of very high strength in cementitious matrix. Both matrix and the fibers are known to have their chemical and physical identities to be retained and offer synergism. It is considered to be a combination of different properties which otherwise cannot be achieved either with any of the components acting on its own. Fibers in general, are principal load carrying members and surrounding matrix m ay keep them within the desired orientation and location, thereby acting as load transfer medium in between fibers and safeguarding them from getting damaged environmentally. As a matter of fact, reinforcement is offered to the matrix by the fibers as well as other useful functions within the fiber reinforced composite materials. The glass fibers may be incorporated into matrix be it in discontinuous or continuous lengths.
To enjoy the advantages, it is important to shop from the best grc jali manufacturer in Delhi. The benefits when compared to steel, plastic or concrete are as follows:
- High tensile strength, flexural strength, impact strength when compared to plain concrete because of presence of glass fiber.
- Versatile in nature having wonderful designing flexibility. Several colors, patterns, textures, and surface finishes can be found. Almost any shaped product is formed.
- Enhanced chemical resistance. For instance, excellent chloride penetration resistance is present than steel.
- Corroding or rusting does not take place.
- Lightweight fibers for minimizing load included to existing structures.
- More expensive when compared to plain concrete
- Manufactured in the form of precast instead of onsite. This effectively means, there is needed forward planning.
- GRC may lose initial strength over tie m and it needs to be considered at the designing stage.
Knowing about GRC, the above benefits and limitations can help the person to make a well informed choice.